Professor of Astronomy, Director of Graduate Studies
Theoretical cosmology and its ties to astrophysical observations.
Professor Bean's work focuses on cosmological theories and how they can constrained using observations such as the cosmic microwave background (CMB) and large scale structure data (galaxies and clusters of galaxies). Her current research includes work to establish the nature of dark energy, the mysterious quantity responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, and dark matter, and how can observations can be used to distinguish between competing theories. She is also interested in the application of string theory to understanding how initial conditions for seeding structure were established in the early universe.
- I. Laszlo, R. Bean, D. Kirk, S. Bridle, “Disentangling dark energy and cosmic tests of gravity from weak lensing systematics ”, arXiv:1109.4535 (astro-ph), MNRAS, Volume 423, Issue 2, 2012.
- N. Agarwal, R. Bean, L. McAllister, G. Xu, “Universality in D-brane Inflation”, arXiv: 1103.2775 (astro-ph), JCAP 1109, 002 (2011).
- N. Agarwal, R. Bean, J. Khoury, M. Trodden, “Screening bulk curvature in the presence of large brane tension” , arXiv:1102.5091 (hep-th), Phys.Rev.D 83, 124004 (2011).
- R. Bean and M. Tangmatitham, “Current constraints on the cosmic growth history”, Phys. Rev. D 81, 083534 (2010), arxiv:1002.4197 (astro-ph).
- N. Agarwal, R. Bean, J. Khoury, M. Trodden, “Cascading Cosmology”, Phys. Rev. D 81, 084020 (2010), arXiv:0912.3798 (hep-th).
- N. Agarwal and R. Bean, “Cosmological constraints on general, single field inflation”, Phys. Rev. D 79 023503 (2009), arxiv:0809.2798 (astro-ph).
- I. Laszlo and R. Bean, “Nonlinear growth in modified gravity theories of dark energy”, Phys. Rev. D. 77 (2008) 024048 arXiv:0709.0307 (astro-ph).
- P. Zhang, M. Liguori, R. Bean, S. Dodelson, “A discriminating probe of gravity at cosmological scales”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 141302 (2007), arxiv:0704.1932 (astro-ph).
- R. Bean, S. E. Shandera, H. R. H. Tye, J. Xu, “Comparing Brane Inflation to WMAP”, JCAP 05 (2007) 004, arxiv: hep-th/0702107.